How can I join or renew my membership?
You can join or renew your membership online or send a check by mail to Membership, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
When does my membership expire?
Memberships are effective immediately on the date of purchase, and expire on the last day of the month of purchase, one year in the future.
Memberships affected by the Museum’s closure due to COVID-19 in 2020 are automatically extended at no cost to reflect the period of the closure. You can choose to support the Museum by opting out of this extension; please e-mail email@example.com to opt out.
How much does a membership cost?
Memberships start at $75 at the Supporter level and go up to Leader, which starts $1,750. Many members choose to increase their impact to the Museum by giving above and beyond their membership dues. Ranges allow members to support the Museum with an additional annual gift to the MFA Fund, to make an even greater impact on the health and vitality of the MFA.
How can I upgrade my membership?
If you are a current member and wish to increase your membership support and get additional benefits, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send your check by mail to Membership, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
How can I update my mailing address or contact information?
Please e-mail your new contact information to email@example.com and we will update your information.
How can I check if my membership is still valid?
How can I automatically renew my membership every year?
To save time (and paper!) members can enroll in the Automatic Renewal Program. There are two ways to sign up:
- When you renew your membership, choose your desired membership level on the Membership page and click Join or Renew.
- After entering the membership dollar amount, click the checkbox below to sign up for Automatic Renewal. The credit card you provide will be charged on an annual basis for the dollar amount entered.
- Check the “Sign me up for MFA Automatic Renewal” box on the back of your recent renewal notice.
How can I check or change my automatic renewal enrollment status?
When you enroll online or by mail, you will receive an e-mail within 24 hours of the processing of your gift, which welcomes you to the Automatic Renewal Program and confirms your enrollment. If you have any questions about your enrollment status, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your phone number and best time to contact you. We are happy to check your enrollment status, and, if you have already authorized enrollment, to update your credit card information at any time. To ensure your privacy and safety, please do not send any credit card numbers by e-mail.
How much will I be charged with automatic renewal, and when?
You’ll only be charged annually during the month of your expiration the amount you indicated during enrollment. Feel free to contact us at any time to confirm that amount. To change this amount for any reason, please contact us at least one month prior to your expiration date to ensure we make the correction before charging your card.
When will I receive my membership card?
All new and renewing members will receive their membership card(s) within 14 to 21 business days of joining the MFA; however, your membership is effective immediately upon purchase, so you can always access discounts without your membership card. Note that all visitors need an advance timed-entry admission ticket to enter the Museum; members cannot visit with their membership card alone.
Can I visit the Museum without my card?
Yes. To visit the Museum, members need an advance timed-entry ticket and cannot use their membership card alone for admission.
How many membership cards will I receive?
If you have a Supporter membership, you will receive one card. For all other levels, membership cards are issued for up to two cardholder names per membership, and membership benefits are available to both cardholders. Please note that if there is only one name on your membership record, you will receive only one membership card regardless of level.
Can I designate a second membership cardholder or give it to someone else?
Membership cards are not transferable.
If you are a member at the Contributor level or above, you may submit your request to email@example.com. (See “How many membership cards will I receive?” above for more information.) Please note it is not possible to receive a duplicate card in your name or a “Guest of” card.
How can I request new membership card?
You can order a replacement card by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gift membership certificates can be purchased online. The recipient of the gift membership redeems their membership by using the gift certificate number provided at purchase and supplying their personal contact information.
Do I need the recipient’s name or contact information?
No, gift membership certificates do not require any contact information for the recipient. The gift recipient provides their contact information when they redeem the certificate number to activate their new membership. Each certificate has a unique certificate number that is either printed on the certificate itself when purchased in person or is in a confirmation e-mail when purchased online. The purchaser is responsible for providing this number to the recipient. When they are ready to start their membership, the recipient will need the number to redeem the certificate online against the membership level of their choice. The credit associated with the certificate will be applied to membership’s cost at the time of redemption.
Can a gift membership certificate be used in the MFA Bookstore and Shops or toward dining or parking?
No, gift membership certificates are only redeemable toward a membership.
How do I redeem a gift membership certificate online and activate my membership?
- Go to Gift Membership. Select “Join or Renew” under the level of membership at which you’d like to join.
- Select the amount you would like to contribute for your membership. Enter a number that is at least the minimum for that level, and click “Continue.”
- Log in to your account. If you have not yet created an account online, please click “Create an Account” and enter your name, address, and phone number.
- When reviewing the order in your cart, enter the Gift Certificate Number in the Gift Certificate ID field in the Apply Gift Certificate box and click “Apply My Gift Certificate.”
- Enter your payment information on the next page to complete your order.
How do I access my online account?
Log in to your account. If you signed up at the Museum and gave us an e-mail address, a temporary member login was created for you. Go to Find Account, enter the e-mail address you used to sign up for your membership, and you’ll receive an e-mail with a link to create your permanent login information.
If you purchased your membership online, you’ve already created your login information.
What if I forget my login or password?
Go to Find Account to request a password reset link to be sent to the e-mail on file. If you have forgotten the e-mail address linked to your login or need to update it, please e-mail your request to our membership team at email@example.com.
How can I reserve member-priced general admission and special exhibition tickets online?
You must be logged in to your account to reserve free or discounted member tickets. If you attempt to reserve a number of tickets that exceeds the limit allowed by your membership level benefits, a message will appear instructing you to upgrade your membership in order to complete the transaction. If you do not wish to upgrade, simply adjust the number of tickets you plan to reserve.
How can I add another person on to my account?
If you are a Contributor level member or higher, you may add a secondary member to your account, if you have not yet already done so. This second member will receive the same benefits as you, including the ability to log in with their own e-mail address and reserve member priced tickets. Simply contact our membership team at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I update my contact information?
Log in to your account and click on the user icon or your e-mail address listed next to “Logged in as” at the top of the screen to get to the Edit Your Account Information page. Please note we will not honor complete name changes. If you have a change to your name other than a spelling update, contact Membership at email@example.com.
Redeem Admission toward Membership
Visitors who have purchased full-priced admission tickets can request to redeem the cost of the tickets toward an MFA membership within one year of their visit.
$30 Discount on Membership for Artists, Students, and More
The Museum offers the following discounts on membership, which are valid for $30 off a membership at the Supporter, Contributor, or Ambassador level. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Artist Discount: Proof of professional artist status may be requested. Please request the membership discount if you are eligible.
- Student Discount: Proof of valid school or college ID may be requested. Students may wish to check whether their college or university is a participant in the University Membership Program first; see University Membership for a list of participating colleges and universities. Please contact your representative at the associated school or university for details on how to access free or discounted tickets. You can also request the membership discount online.
- Teacher Discount: K–12 educators, please request the membership discount online. A valid school ID, letter on institution stationery from a K–12 principal or administrator, or a valid/active MTA card may be requested. MTA members must be actively teaching; retired status is not accepted.
- Active Military and Veterans: Please request the membership discount online. Sponsored by MFS Investment Management.
- EBT Card Holders: If you are an EBT holder, please request the membership discount online.
MFA Citizens is a program that enables newly naturalized US citizens living in Massachusetts to receive a one-year free membership. Visit MFA Citizens for more information.
Members receive discounts and a variety of benefits according to their giving level. For more information on your benefits, visit Membership. Log in to your account to see your current membership level, expiration date, admission and ticketing privileges, and guest pass allotment.
What Museum discounts do I get with my membership?
MFA Bookstore and Shops
Members save 10% at MFA shops. Please note that if you wish to visit the Museum to shop only, you must still reserve a timed-entry ticket in advance and complete a health check upon arrival to enter the Museum.
To use your discount in-person, present your membership card at checkout.
To use your discount at the online MFA Shop, please use code MEMBER10 at checkout. Members should register an account with the MFA Shop, which is separate from the mfa.org member account, to access the MFA Shop member discount online.
Please note that the discount does not apply to consignment merchandise, gift cards, or MFA memberships.
All dining venues in the Museum are temporarily closed. When open, members save 15% at all four Museum dining venues: 465 Bar and Restaurant, New American Café, Taste, and the Garden Cafeteria. Present your membership card at checkout to receive your discount.
Depending on the length of your stay, members can save up to 40% on parking. The maximum day rate for member parking is $15; the maximum evening rate (Monday–Friday, after 5:30 pm) is $13. Scan your membership card at any exit-lane pay station or the kiosks in the garage lobby. Your discount is applied and a new total to be paid is displayed on the screen.
I’m a member through my college or university. Do I get the same benefits?
The University Membership program allow universities to provide their students, faculty, and staff with free admission to the Museum. Visit College and University Programs for more information on these benefits. To access your University Member admission ticket, please contact your institution. If you are unable to locate the correct contact, please e-mail email@example.com for assistance.
Ambassador, Sustainer, and Leader members receive membership privileges at 22 other institutions. To receive the member benefits at the following participating institutions, please contact their membership office prior to your visit.
For those wishing to visit the MFA from reciprocal organizations, please request your admission ticket(s).
Members can reserve preferred time slots for admission and special exhibition tickets 24 hours before they go on sale to the general public. Tickets go on sale for each month about two weeks before the start of the month.
What is the tax deductibility of my membership?
A portion of each membership contribution is tax deductible. The letter you receive in the mail that contains your membership card can serve as your tax receipt, and additionally you can request a tax receipt by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A portion of each membership contribution is tax deductible as follows:
- Supporter: $11 is not tax deductible
- Contributor: $22 is not tax deductible
- Ambassador: $144 is not tax deductible
- Sustainer: $266 is not tax deductible
- Leader: $288 is not tax deductible
Can I pay for my membership via DAF, IRA, or Family foundations?
Yes. Simply direct your payment for the full amount of the membership to:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
All memberships paid through these methods will automatically have benefits declined, via waived guest passes, and will be fully tax deductible. An acknowledgment of the gift as well as your membership card(s) will be sent directly to your home address upon receiving the transfer of funds.
Are guest passes tax deductible?
Tax deductibility of guest passes is included in the value that you receive with your membership.
Guest passes are single-use admission passes for one person that can be applied to a timed-entry admission ticket order. Guest passes can not be applied towards a special exhibition ticket. They can be used at any time during the year of membership. Members who wish to apply a guest pass to their advanced general admission ticket order must e-mail email@example.com. Please note guest passes won’t be mailed at this time.
How many guest passes do I receive each year?
- Supporter: One single-use guest pass, per membership
- Contributor, MFA Citizens, and First Year Free: Two single-use guest passes, per membership
- Ambassador: Four single-use guest passes, per membership
- Sustainer: Six single-use guest passes, per membership
- Leader: Eight single-use guest passes, per membership
When do my guest passes expire?
Guest passes expire when your current membership expires. Upon renewing, you will have access to a new allotment of guest passes determined by your membership level.
Visiting as a Member
Yes. All visitors (members and nonmembers) need to reserve a timed-entry ticket in advance.
Membership cards will not be accepted for entry into the Museum. All visitors need to reserve a timed-entry ticket in advance.
Yes. We know sometimes plans change—if yours do, please help more people in our community enjoy the Museum by rebooking, exchanging, or canceling your tickets ahead of time. We hope you come to the Museum as planned, but if you decide not to, other visitors might miss out if you don’t use your timed-entry tickets. Remember, to protect your health and that of our entire creative community, only a limited number of time slots are available.
Members, if you need to reschedule:
- To reschedule free Museum Admission tickets, please contact us in advance of your visit date by calling 1-800-440-6975 so we can release the tickets. You can then rebook your tickets online for a different day.
- To reschedule timed-entry special exhibition or any paid tickets, contact us in advance of your visit date by calling 1-800-440-6975 to exchange your tickets for another date. Tickets are non-refundable, but can be exchanged prior to the visit date. A $4 exchange fee applies.
- If you do not arrive for a special exhibition at your ticketed time, you will forfeit your limited free exhibition ticket(s) and we will not be able to reschedule you for another time slot.
Members may reserve free general admission tickets in advance for an available time slot any day the Museum is open, as follows per membership level. Children ages 17 and under are admitted free with a general admission youth ticket.
- Supporter: Free general admission ticket for one adult per day
- Contributor, MFA Citizens, First Year Free, and Ambassador: Free general admission tickets for two adults per day
- Sustainer, Leader, and Collection Artist: Free general admission tickets for four adults per day
Special exhibitions require a separate ticket. Members may reserve an allotted number of free tickets to each special exhibition, as follows per membership level. Special exhibition tickets must be reserved in advance for an available time slot throughout the run of the exhibition. After members use up their allotted number of free special exhibition tickets, they pay $5 (the special exhibition surcharge) per special exhibition ticket reserved in advance, subject to availability. Children ages 17 and under are admitted free with a special exhibition youth ticket.
- Supporter: Two free special exhibition tickets to be used anytime throughout the run of the exhibition
- Contributor, MFA Citizens, First Year Free, Collection Artist, Ambassador, Sustainer, and Leader: Four free special exhibition tickets to be used anytime throughout the run of the exhibition
- All members: $5 for each additional special exhibition ticket, capped per visit at the general admission limits listed above
Yes, all visitors regardless of age are required to have a timed-entry ticket.
If you have already provided us with your e-mail address, you have been signed up automatically. You can also send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MFA Mail is e-mail that keeps you up to date on everything that happens at the Museum. You do not have to be a member to get MFA Mail.
Member and Donor Mail is e-mail that pertains specifically to your membership and any other MFA donor groups to which you belong.
You can sign up for e-mail and update your account and interests at any time by logging in. If you signed up at the Museum, a temporary member login was created for you. Go to Find Account on the login page, enter the e-mail address you used to sign up for your membership, and you’ll receive an e-mail with a link to create your permanent login information. If you joined online, you’ve already created your login information.
The Museum is open to members only on the last Sunday of every month from 10 am to 12 pm. Timed-entry tickets must be reserved in advance.
What are Member Previews and how do I attend?
Member Previews provide an opportunity for members to see the Museum’s biggest exhibitions first—before they open to the general public. Members need an advance timed-entry ticket to special exhibitions during the Member Preview and anytime throughout the run of the exhibition.
Yes, upper-level Museum membership is a prerequisite for participation and members at the following levels are eligible to join:
- MFA Member at the Sustainer Level or Leader Level ($850 and above)
- Museum Council Member ($600 level and above; age 21 to 49)
- Patron Program Member ($3,000 and above)
The annual contribution to join a Curators Circle is $1,500, which covers enrollment in one group for two people.
Visit Curators Circles, select the Curators Circle you want to join, and click “Join or Renew.” You will be prompted to log in and validate your Museum membership before you can proceed. You may also join or renew by calling 617-369-3548, or by mailing a check to:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Please make check payable to Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and indicate in the memo line the name of the Circle(s) you wish to join.
The most likely reason is that you don’t meet the Museum membership prerequisite. See “Do I need to be a member to join Curators Circles?”
Your participation in Curators Circles is valid for one year and will match the annual cycle—with the same expiration date—as your qualifying membership. If you are midway through the annual cycle of your qualifying membership, please call 617-369-3548.