Get “Life,” “Obama Portraits,” and General Admission Tickets Now
“Life Magazine and the Power of Photography” timed tickets available for dates October 9, 2022–January 16, 2023.
“The Obama Portraits Tour” timed tickets available through October 30, 2022.
General Admission tickets available for dates through February 2023.
Select from the calendar below.
Timed-Entry Exhibition Tickets
A timed-entry ticket is required for “The Obama Portraits Tour” and “Life Magazine and the Power of Photography” for all visitors, including members and children. Exhibition tickets include general admission for the entire visit day. Tickets can sell out, so plan ahead and reserve your ticket in advance!
Exchanges and Returns
If your plans change, please see our policy regarding ticket return and exchange options.
- Last entry 30 minutes before Museum closing.
- General admission tickets are valid for the Museum’s entire operating hours on the given visit day. General admission does not include admission to special exhibitions that require a separate ticket.
- Special exhibitions require a specific exhibition ticket with a timed-entry time slot for the gallery. If you’re unable to secure tickets in your cart for your entire party within one time slot, please choose a different time that can accommodate your entire group. Make sure to add any free youth tickets to your order at the same time as you add adult tickets.
- Tickets are available for purchase in person (pending exhibition ticket availability) or in advance on mfa.org or by phone at 1-800-440-6975. $6 per-order processing fee applies to all phone orders.
- General admission tickets do not include access to “The Obama Portraits Tour” or “Life Magazine and the Power of Photography.”
- Entry time slots are 30 minutes; visitors must enter the exhibition within that 30-minute window.
- Once inside the exhibition, visitors may stay as long as they like
- No re-entry into a special exhibition
- Maximum ticket quantity per order of 9
For more information about purchasing, using, and exchanging tickets, please see Ticketing Policies.
Members are required to reserve a timed-entry ticket for special exhibitions and are encouraged to reserve exhibition tickets in advance as time slots may sell out. See Membership FAQ for detailed information.
Admission to the Museum is free to all on the following days:
- Monday, September 19, 2022
- Monday, October 10, 2022 (Indigenous Peoples’ Day)
- Sunday, October 30, 2022
No advance tickets. Free admission to timed, ticketed exhibitions available in person on a first-come, first-served basis.
Admission to the Museum is free to all Massachusetts residents on the following days:
- Monday, May 30, 2022 (Memorial Day)
- Monday, June 20, 2022 (Juneteenth)
- Monday, January 16, 2023 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
No advance tickets. Visitors must supply a valid Massachusetts zip code to gain free admission. Free admission to timed, ticketed exhibitions available in person on a first-come, first-served basis.
Free and Discounted Admission Programs
Want free tickets? Members get free admission to the MFA anytime. Join us now. Please note that retroactive tickets are not available.
All United States active duty military and veterans can receive free general admission tickets for themselves and up to 5 guests and $7 special exhibition tickets in person with a US active duty military or veteran ID. Offer not valid in advance.
Free general admission tickets and $7 special exhibition tickets are available to students, faculty, and staff from participating colleges and universities in person with a valid student or faculty ID. Offer not valid in advance.
Pozen Community College Access Program is made possible by Liz and Bob Pozen.
The Lunder Maine Student Membership Program at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston is generously funded by The Lunder Foundation.
The McLane Family New Hampshire Student Membership Program allows New Hampshire students of all ages in public and private school, as well as those who are home schooled, to visit the Museum free of charge.
Bank of America cardholders may receive one complimentary General Admission ticket or one $7 Special Exhibition ticket during the first full weekend of each month (Saturday and Sunday). Tickets are limited to one ticket per cardholder, and you must present your Bank of America card in person at a ticket desk on the applicable weekend to access your ticket. Additional guests are required to purchase tickets separately. Exhibition tickets are subject to availability.
Massachusetts residents who present Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) or Connector Care cards in person can receive up to four $3 admission tickets, good for adult general admission or special exhibition tickets.
EBT Card to Culture is a collaboration between the Mass Cultural Council and the Executive Office of Health and Human Services’ Department of Transitional Assistance. See the full list of participants.
$10 tickets are available to members of the Institutional Pass Program. Please contact the public library, school, or nonprofit organization to which you’re associated for information about how to access $10 tickets in advance online or in person on the day of your visit.
K–12 teachers in a school, after school, or community setting in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont receive one discounted general admission ticket for $15 with proof of active teaching status. Timed tickets to select special exhibitions are an additional $7. Show your school ID or a letter from your principal or director at any ticket desk.
The Museum offers K–12 teachers discounts on membership, which are valid for $30 off a membership at the Individual, Family and Friends, or Ambassador level. If you believe you are eligible, you may request the discount by visiting a ticket desk during your next visit or by calling 1-800-440-6975. If you have questions about your eligibility for the discount, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the discount cannot be applied retroactively to a previously purchased membership.
A valid school ID, letter on institution stationery from a K–12 principal or administrator, or a valid/active MTA card may be requested. MTA members must be actively teaching; retired status is not accepted.
Please contact the representative at your company who is responsible for the MFA partnership to access your free admission tickets.
Redeem Admission toward Membership
Visitors who have purchased full-priced admission tickets can request to redeem the cost of the tickets toward an MFA membership within 30 days of their visit. See Membership: Frequently Asked Questions for more details.