Boston City Council President Kim Janey to Join MLK Day Community Celebration at MFA Boston
On Monday, January 20, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (MFA), in partnership with Citizens Bank—event sponsor and community partner for 18 consecutive years—invites the community to honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the free annual MLK Day community celebration. Boston City Council President Kim Janey will join Matthew Teitelbaum, the MFA's Ann and Graham Gund Director, Jerry Sargent, president of Citizens Bank, Massachusetts, and Marie St. Fleur, Executive Director of King Boston, to offer remarks commemorating the life of Dr. King and announce the winners of a citywide student essay contest.
During the MLK Day community celebration, visitors will also be the first to see Black Histories, Black Futures. A centerpiece of the MFA's 150th anniversary year, the exhibition features 20th century art by Black artists and is curated by Boston-area teens, in partnership with local youth empowerment organizations Becoming a Man and The BASE. Black Histories, Black Futures is the first teen-curated exhibition of MFA collection artworks.
- 10:30 am–4:30 pm: Tours, Spotlight Talks and other art exploration activities for families, including ASL tours and Feeling for Form tours for visitors who are blind or low vision
- 11 am and 2 pm: Live dance performances by The Wondertwins, a hip-hop dance brother duo comprised of identical twins Bobby and Billy McClain
- 12 pm: Remarks by Matthew Teitelbaum, Kim Janey, Jerry Sargent, Marie St. Fleur; winners of a citywide student essay contest are announced
- 1–1:30 pm: Curators of Black Histories, Black Futures share their experience organizing the MFA's first teen-curated exhibition of collection artworks
- 2 pm and 3 pm: Dance performances by Abilities Dance Boston, inspired by themes in the exhibitions Ancient Nubia Now and Women Take the Floor
MLK Jr. Day Open House is presented in partnership with Citizens Bank. Additional programming support is provided by the Lowell Institute.