The photographers and imaging specialists of MFA Images have a combined seventy-five years of experience in digital imaging, archiving, and reproduction. The staff continues to be one of the leading forces in digital fine art photography.
MFA Images has transitioned from film-based photography to an all-digital system. By using the highest-quality studio digital cameras, imaging specialists can capture more detail, a larger color space, and a greater tonal range than with large-format color transparency film.
MFA Images uses advanced color management software and hardware calibration to capture the subtle colors, textures, and tonalities of the artwork with unprecedented accuracy. This high-tech equipment—combined with years of experience and intimate familiarity with the MFA's collections—produces some of the best museum photography in the world. This superior level of quality is achieved only from primary source photography from MFA Images and its licensed partners.
Now available: 30–100 MB tiff files via FTP or CD and DVD-ROM.
With MFA approval, new photography may be ordered for objects in the collections for which photographic and/or digital images are not available. The base fees for new photography are determined by the size of the object as follows:
- 2-D objects under 84”: $200
- 2-D objects over 84”: $300
- 2-D objects on location: $550
- 3-D objects under 20”: $225
- 3-D objects over 20”: $350
- 3-D objects on location: $550
- Additional views: $100 per view
New photography typically takes 8 weeks for processing, but may take longer if your request includes several objects, additional group shots, or 3-D objects. For more information, please speak with or e-mail MFA Images. Please note:
- Multiple views, details, and/or special requests may incur additional fees (to be quoted).
- The fees quoted above are for the photographing process only and do NOT include the cost of the deliverable photo materials ordered (please review photo material prices for the additional cost of each specific format.)